Google: Managing IMAP Folders and Labels
Google mail provides by default some very strange folders which I do not find useful (e.g.
IMAP/Archive). Moreover, I find pointless to download a single e-mail multiple times, as by default; it was assigned multiple "labels" which I do not use. Here's a short reminder, how to deal with it...
Disabling a Selected Label and IMAP Folder
Following these step will disable the (un)desired "labels" or "IMAP folders" in Google mail. Once done, restarting the e-mail client software should automatically remove these folders:
- Log into the web interface of Google mail.
- Go to the
Inbox(should be the default anyway).
- Click on the "gear icon" on the right and select "Settings".
- In the menu, click on the "Labels" tab.
- Click "hide" on the desired option in the "Show in label list" (e.g.
- Untick the desired option "Show in IMAP" (e.g.
Unsubscribing from a Selected IMAP Folder
This option depends on the e-mail client software used. It may be useful in cases when users do not want to completely remove the (un)desired labels or IMAP folders globally.
- In Thunderbird, look for "Advanced" option in "Synchronization & Storage" settings.
- In Outlook, look for "IMAP Folders" settings.